Thursday, November 24, 2005

Mathematics music

A student asked me this week (in an attempt to change the subject away from mathematics) what music I liked. I answered that at the moment I'm listening to for instance:

- Kate Bush: Pi
(Oh he love, he love, he love/He does love his numbers/And they run, they run, they run him/In a great big circle/In a circle of infinity/3.1415926535 897932 3846 264 338 3279)

- Tom Lehrer: New maths
(Hooray for New Math,/New-hoo-hoo Math!/It won't do you a bit of good to review math./It's so simple,/So very simple,/That only a child can do it!) - probably the only song in the world which includes the calculation of 342 minus 173, both in base 10 and in base 8...

- deLillos: Geometri
(Then you must tell yourself that you are in the centre, friend/it's only the circle around you that changes/and you can live friendly and reasonably in the middle of it/on the periphery of the others' (my translation))

- Tre små kinesere: Pi err i andre
(We all know the circle is round/Pi times r squared/The circle is eternal, it never breaks/That can't be changed (my translation))

There's lots of good music out there...

1 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Hi, I found your blog after you commented on mine. I've been meaning to write something about mathsy music for ages, here's some more suggestions:

3 Is The Magic Number
A Perfect Circle - REM
2 + 2 = 5 - Radiohead
Black Math - The White Stipes
It's 5! - Architecture in Helsinki
I Believe in Symmetry - Bright Eyes
Magic Pie - Oasis
Would you like to feel my metre stick? - Sexy Dave and the Davettes

I'm sure I could think of zillions of these! Good luck with your blogging.

(p.s. I made one of them up)

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home